– By Gufran Ahmad (Intern at Aman Mathur Fashion House)
What is a Neckline?
- the shape made by the edge of a dress or shirt at the front of the neck or on the chest.
- The neckline an essential element in designing your complete look by creating right balance, proportions and emphasis on your natural features.
Choosing the Neckline
- The neckline frames the neck, shoulders, collarbones and face and modify their apparent width, height and angularity.
- It is recommended that the neckline should be chosen according to the women’s natural features like neck, shoulder, collarbones and face to accentuate those features and balance the various proportions among them.
- A round face is balanced by an angular (linear) neckline and collar, whereas an angular face is balanced with curves in the neckline.
- Similarly, a small neck and face will apparently appear to be lengthened by necklines with vertical lines, such as a plunging V/U or scoop neckline; on the other hand, high necklines such as the jewel or high neck/turtleneck types balances the long, slim neck.
- Wide shoulders can be made to appear narrow with style lines that converge inwards e.g., the halter neckline, whereas pear-shaped figures can be balanced by horizontal lines, e.g. strapless or boat neckline.
Necklines to look out for this Summer
- 1) Take a Plunge-Plunging V-neck are a big hot this season. They not only add the glamour but also increase your oomph factor by large level. From Cannes to big Fashion designers to our very own B-town divas, everyone is smitten by this trend. The key to wearing this classic, versatile neckline is to choose the depth of the V that best fits your bust size.
- If you’ve got a small to medium bust, dare to bare in a style like a plunging dress or a deep V neck jumpsuit. Elongate your frame and bring the drama — without spilling out of your top.
2) Be Bold-If you are looking for power suiting, then blazers with a deep neckline is just the thing for you. They have pointed, elaborate shoulders with every designer taking interest in them from Chanel to Alexander McQueen to Louis Vuitton.
3) Little Hearts- Sweetheart neckline is back in business this summer. They resemble the upper half of a heart. Sweetheart necklines accentuate the bosom. They almost always makes a woman look longer and leaner.
4) Set the Standard High- Turtlenecks are always known for their classy and sophisticated look. You can try this if you want to look a little above everyone this summer. It hits a few inches below the chin and helps balance a long face or a long neck.
5) Hello Gorgeous- Strapless neckline is perfect for those who want to flaunt their shoulders, collarbones and neck. Flaunt it this summer with a perfect sundress and a large hat with shades. It has widening effect on the shoulders, especially suited for girls with narrow shoulders and slim toned arms.
6) Add a little drama- Asymmetrical/One shoulder neckline is best loved this summer by many B-town divas. It adds a little fun to your dress and cut torso diagonally. It is recommended for women with narrow shoulders and slim arms.